The Samsung Galaxy product line is growing again.. two new 4″ and 5″ Galaxy Players will join the seven, eight, and ten inch Galaxy Tabs. Samsung made the announcement in New York at the Samsung Experience showroom on Wednesday. These babies will basically have the same functionality as the original Galaxy Tab, with a few lighter specs.
The new devices will offer a “fun way to enjoy games, music, videos and social media,” said Tim Baxter, president of Samsung Electronics America. Larger than Apple’s iTouch, these new players will be wifi enabled, and not intended for making phone calls.
Here’s a better view of what the new Galaxy Player’s will be capable of:
- Device Size: 4 and 5 inch screen sizes
- Android 2.2 Froyo operating system but upgradeable to 2.3 Gingerbread
- Connectivity to include Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology
- Storage Options: 8GB or 16GB
- Although they have no 3G capabilities, processors are the same as the Galaxy Tabs (Cortex A8 1GHz)
- MicroSD card slot for up to 32GB
- Front and real cameras: 3.2MP rear and VGA front camera
- Extremely light weight: 4” weighs 5oz, 5” is 7oz
- Fully compatible with Adobe Flash 10.1
- Virtual 5.1 stereo surround sound speakers with SoundAlive post-processing technology
According to Samsung, both devices support numerous multimedia formats including DivX, Xvid, WMV, MPEG4, and H.264. Audio wise, they support MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, and Flac. Samsung added that the Players are DLNA certified and support AllShare. They are basically handheld devices for users to view movies, play games or run apps on the go, and will compete directly with Apple’s iTouch line.
Further news about these devices are still sketchy, we still have no word on battery life, price, or the exact release date. They will surely be unleashed before year end so stay tuned for more news. What do you make of Samsung’s attempt to produce a device in every size?
- Launching of 10-inch Galaxy Tab this early 2011
- Rumored Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 Inch – Korean Yonhap News Agency
- Sprint announced Samsung Galaxy Tab pricing and Launch Date
- Vidyo now caters Video-conferencing to the Home over the Internet on General Purpose Consumer Devices
- Exclusive TV Streaming for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Galaxy S2
Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/4jnds2j